Buyer / Seller Learning Center
Become an Expert!
Garage Sale Buyer Tips – Be Informed
Going garage sale shopping can be an exciting experience. Going from sale to sale looking for that perfect find to tell all your friends about can make for really enjoyable weekends. Listed below are a few buyers tips that we have put together for you to consider the next time you go garage sale shopping.
- Bring lots of small bills and change. A lot of sellers won’t accept checks and most will have no means of accepting credit cards.
- Get out and go early to find the best items. A past Garage Sale Zone web poll indicated that between 7:00 and 8:00 are the best times to get start garage sale shopping.
- Inspect items for broken pieces, chips, or other damages before buying them.
- Before heading out, purchase a local newspaper and prepare a mental or paper map of your route. This will save you lots of time.
- Take refreshments with you in case it gets hot and bring a snack with you for energy. Garage sale shopping can be quite draining especially if you are buying a lot of large items.
- Don’t be too shy to negotiate. Most sellers will be willing to let you haggle with their prices. Just don’t be too pushy or you could spoil the deal.
- Be polite and don’t push, shove, or block tables.
- Avoid impulse buying. Don’t buy because you think it may be valuable. Buy items you really like to avoid disappointments.
- Wear sunglasses, a hat, suntan lotion, and anything else that can help to keep the sun off. Sunburns can be miserable.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes.
- It may be exciting, but try not be the “early bird” that most sellers despise. Most RummageWisconsin.com users indicate “No Early Birds” when placing their ads.
- Remove price tag stickers as soon as possible. The longer they remain on an item the harder they will be to get off. Be weary of items priced with duct tape as well as the glue on the tape can be very difficult to remove.